Thursday, July 26, 2007

Visions of Potter

Last night, Willow and I began our descent into Pottermania, picking up the book at 11:45, and deciding (wisely) to take in the first two chapters. By the time we put the book down at 12:30 am, my mind was spinning, but since I was insanely tired (big workout both that day and the previous day, plus an inexplicable string of late nights), I dropped off immediately.

But the night's sleep was hardly restful. I almost immediately, in that strange space between waking and dreaming, developed a theory that explains a major component of the HP universe, one which I won't share because I'm only on chapter 2, but which kept my mind racing for most of the night, and which still makes a fair amount of sense in the light of day.

I finally awoke fully at 5:30 am, and so did Willow. I told her my theory, which seemed to let me get it off my mind enough to go into a deeper sleep, but Rambunctious and Imperia were up by 7:30.

I felt like crap. My body ached from post-workout pain, my head hurt from not enough sleep, and to boot, I think I'm coming down with some sinus thing. WIllow generously let me sleep in and took the kids to school today while I roused myself on my own good time.

In the meantime, I'm working on several books at once, something I find myself doing more these days, until one really grabs me and I finish it. But often I have 3-5 books which I've started enough to say I'm reading them, and which lie open around the house and office, but none of which has me by throat, hurtling toward it's conclusion. RIght now, those books include HP and the Deathly Hallows, Angela Carter's The Infernal Desire Machines of Dr. Hoffman, Salman Rushdie's short story collection, East, West, that old standby Heart of Darkness, and finally, War and Wine, a birthday gift about the plight of France wine-growers during WWII, which is so far quite good. This is in addition to the 10K-word short story that Willow knocked off this week (and which is amazing), and the various theory that I am using tor evise this article, which is inching to completion. All of this is to say that it makes a certain amount of sense, if you read the above list, why my dreams are, well, colorful.

Tonight, I'm not sure if Top Chef on TiVo will bump back the next chapter of HP, but if it doesn't, I hope we read it early enough that I can clear my head before bedtime...

3 comments:

Sisyphus said...

See, that's why I've switched to blogreading before bedtime --- I'm less likely to create strange and crazy dreams.

And I love love Angela Carter ... haven't read that one though. Someday, someday!

Tiruncula said...

I hope you'll share the theory when you're finished (and rested).

Anonymous said...

why do you read harry potter?