Thursday, August 02, 2007

Laid Out

That's what this summertime bug has done to us all...knocked us out cold.

I think I'm over the worst of it, since tonight, finally, I feel about 90%. Rambunctious still has a runny nose, although he hasn't complained of symptoms in days, and his appetite seems to be back, which is one of my lingering symptoms. Willow still is coughing up a storm, which means she can't really sleep, and she's also had trouble with appetite. We really want to be better for this weekend's trip to a baby shower in Grad School City.

In the last week, though, I've barely left the house, haven't worked out at all, haven't taken care of the rapidly growing lawn. I had to cancel theatre tickets with a departing grad student tonight because between my germs and Willow's I felt I needed to be home tonight. I missed a soccer game on Tuesday, and am desperately hoping not to miss one tomorrow.

The only upside is that some work has gotten done...Both of my syllabi are now substantially drafted for an August 20 start date, I've finished the revision on my article, and am deep into editing the selections for the collection.

The worst news is that even though we've been spending all this time laying around in bed, the sore throats have kept us from going beyond the first five chapters of Harry Potter, and we can't keep the spoilers at bay forever!

The best news (and it is very good news) is that Willow just found out that she won a state-wide new writer's competition, judged by a very famous scholar who is not, as far as I know, a fiction writer. Still, over 100 entries, and hers was first! More kudos to her, of whom I am very proud.

2 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Hurray for Willow! And get well soon everyone!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Willow! I'm so sorry that everyone is sick - hope y'all can all kick the bugs very soon. Can't wait to see whoever is able to make it this weekend!