Wednesday, October 17, 2007

No, Really, I'm not on the Job Market

I didn't even think this was a question, until the other day, I got an email from my advisor, which said, basically, "If you're applying for Job X, let me know, because I have some contacts there." Now Job X is essentially a lateral move: in a medium-small city with a thriving theatre scene, as opposed to the overgrown small town with very little theatre that currently houses us, but also further away by six hours from my family.

But I was curious...had I missed something when skimming the ad? So I went back and looked at it. Yeah I would've been very good for the position when I was on the market, and yeah it would be nice to be in a more metropolitan area with some real live theatre. But I didn't think it was worth the hassle of uprooting again.

But what's this? this listing that came up just above Job X? The one I had missed? The perfect job description in a part of the country that I'd give my left ear to live in? The one near some family and friends we don't get to see enough of? The one on...oh...the west coast.

Willow and I had a long talk last night and we decided that while I would've salivated over this job a couple of years ago, now is just not the right time to go, and the west coast, while very. very. appealing, is just not an option. I am not going on the market for either of these jobs.

I am breathing a small sigh of relief, but the what-ifs remain.

2 comments:

Sisyphus said...

That's all right, I've got enough job-market bile and angst for multiple people, should the need ever arise.

And it's too early to think about, but there are some non-west-coast jobs I'm applying to ---- will need explanation of how far is "far" from where you are.

Man, the size of CA throws my understanding of the whole rest of the country off.

Nels P. Highberg said...

We had a similar conversation, taking a look at one job but realizing that we don't want to throw off the equilibrium we've spent four years developing.