Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Happy, Very Happy, then Tired

I've never been actually diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder, but even in elementary and middle school, my grades took a predictable slump in the third quarter. And I am usually a pretty high energy guy, but in February, which was brutal, here as everywhere, I was not high energy. I was high anxiety.

One day, when it became clear that I was going to have to cancel class because of the snow day, I just cried. On the fantastic weekend a couple of weeks ago, during which i got to see theatre, and many of my very favorite people in the world, and eat a good meal, the whole thing was almost completely ruined by an anxiety attack brought on by a freak snowstorm.

The point is, after its first two weeks, winter is my arch-enemy (it used to be this guy Tom from high school, but I haven't seen him in 12 years).

Today though, the forecast was 70 degrees and sunny. I saw the forecast, and immediately went to the closet to break out the spring wardrobe: my khaki silk suit and a lovely swimming-pool colored oxford. Even though I overslept, I was happy walking out the door, first cup of coffee in hand. I swear to god every person I saw commented on my clothes. For every easter-egg remark, there were two compliments. Frankly, I am simply trying to will spring into existence.

I then got to teach two good sections where I introduced one of my favorite novels, and then tried to keep a very excited group of students going to London from busting out of their skins.

And then, all the caffeine wore off, and the thrill of a beautiful, sunny, warm spring day finally hit. I am tired, but soon, very soon, it will be Spring. For real.

2 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Mayhap crocus yellow would have been more appropriate? I do love the suit description though. Of course, London's not exactly a bastion of sunshine. :) But, it will all come around to spring if you just wait! Soon, soon!

Anonymous said...

This is quite interesting to read...thanks for sharing so much with us...and hey as Easter is coming up soon also visit my blog on Easter Greetings sometime and enjoy all that i've posted there!!!